DUI / DWI Attorney Jupiter
Serving Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, West Palm Beach and all of Florida
Being arrested for a DUI/DWI (Driving Under the Influence/Driving While Intoxicated) is a very serious offense. Whether it involves drugs or alcohol, this offense can result in serious penalties, fines, and harsh jail sentences.
The Penalties for a DWI/DUI in Florida
The state of Florida is known for being one of the toughest on DUI offenders. Anyone convicted of a DUI, which is driving while under the influence of drugs (prescription or illegal) or with an alcohol level of 0.08 percent or higher will pay a fine and likely face jail time.
Penalties for First-Time Offenders
- Fines of $250
- Up to six months in jail or prison
- Driver’s license suspension for up to six months
- 50 hours of community service
- 10-day vehicle impoundment
- Up to one year probation sentence
- Permanent misdemeanor on your criminal record
- Auto insurance premium increase
Penalties for Repeat Offenders
- Mandatory prison term of up to nine months
- Fines up to $1,000
- 30-day vehicle impoundment
- Five-year license suspension
How DUIs are Determined
If the police suspect you are driving under the influence, they will use one of three tests to determine your blood alcohol level or the type of drug you were using. These tests include:
- Blood test
- Urine analysis
Police can use a field sobriety test first to see whether or not you are driving under the influence. If you fail a field test, then they will then administer one of the three tests above.
Potential Defenses to a DWI/DUI
Just because you were pulled over or arrested for a DUI does not mean you will be convicted. In fact, your criminal defense attorney may be able to help you avoid a conviction altogether. Some possible defenses may include:
- Challenging the arrest. If the police officer did not have a valid reason for suspecting you were driving under the influence, then the tests and arrest may not hold up in court. An attorney can challenge the reasons for the pullover altogether.
- Challenging the tests. If any tests were used, attorneys may be able to question their accuracy. Police offers often use inaccurately calibrated or outdated equipment.
- Challenging the laboratory performing the test. Sometimes there is evidence that the laboratory conducting the tests uses inaccurately calibrated equipment or there was a contamination of the sample.
Arrested for a DUI? Contact Tony Bennett Law Today
If you or a loved one was arrested for a DUI, do not wait. Your rights and freedom are at risk. With experience as a prosecutor, Tony Bennett can help you combat your DUI/DWI charges and hopefully keep you out of jail.
The only way to protect your freedom is to contact an attorney – so get started today with a free consultation. Contact Tony Bennett Law by calling 561-972-7021 now.